The Dickens Cocktail
This is a great cocktail for the Winter months. Inspired by a similar concoction made by the Charles Dickens character Mr Micawber, it made his “face shine as if it had been varnished all over”!
Serves // 2-3 people
- 1 Cup of Barossa Generations Gin
- 1 Cup of Tawny Port (We have used Dutschke Bourbon Barrel Tawny
for that extra layer of flavour)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1/2 an Orange
- 1 Whole Orange segment
- 1/2 Pineapple ring, peeled and cored (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 whole stick of cinnamon
- 5 Cloves
- A pinch of finely grated Nutmeg
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- A little grated Nutmeg (Simply multiply the ingredients for a larger group)
Place all of the main ingredients into a small well washed saucepan and heat very gently on the stove top for 15 mins at the lowest setting. While it is infusing balance the sweet/sour flavour with Honey and Lemon Juice to your taste.
Take off the heat and strain into a Cocktail mixing jug if you have one, otherwise use a heat resistant measuring jug.
Pour into small glassware, we have used a tasting glass from Spiegelau Perfect Serve Collection. Garnish with a stick of Cinnamon and a pinch of finely grated Nutmeg.
You could strain into a China Tea Pot and serve in bone china tea cups with a slice of Gingerbread. That might feel far more civilised on a chilly winters afternoon.
Like the sound of this recipe? Then you will most likely want to try some of Barossa Distilling Co’s other cocktail recipes: