RECIPE BY CLAIRE WOOD
Make the most of leftover roast chicken by making this delicious and easy strudel. For a meat-free option replace the chicken with roast vegetables.
Skill Level //
Prep/Cook Time //
55 minutes, plus 30 minutes refrigeration
You will need:
- 20g butter, chopped
- 1/2 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1/2 cup (125g) milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pouring cream
- 1/2 cup grated pizza cheese
- 40g baby spinach leaves
- 200g leftover roast chicken,
- cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 x 375g packet Carême Spelt
- Butter Puff Pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until onion softens. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
2. Gradually add the combined milk and cream to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese, spinach and chicken. Cook for 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Transfer to a bowl. Cool for 5 minutes. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until cool.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
4. Unroll the pastry and lay it horizontally in front of you on a sheet of baking paper. Spoon the chicken mixture horizontally along the middle third of the pastry, leaving a 5cm border at each end. Fold one long edge of pastry over filling, tuck in ends and brush with egg.
Roll pastry to enclose filling and make a parcel, sealing edge with a little egg. Place on prepared tray.
5. Brush the strudel with egg. Using a small sharp knife, cut shallow diagonal slits on the top to make a chevron pattern. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until strudel is golden. Serve immediately.
TIP: The chicken mixture can be made up to one day in advance and stored in refrigerator. Stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before adding to pastry.
Like the sound of this recipe? Want more… Check out these further recipes by Carème Pastry:
>> Apple Pie