RECIPE BY PETER CLARKE
VINTNERS BAR & GRILL
BAROSSA RECIPES // SZECHUAN CHICKEN
This recipe is very quick & easy to prepare, tasty, with minimum fuss and mess in the kitchen cause we all hate the cleanup. We use local Greenslade chicken as they are plump and keep their moisture. Wine I love to drink with this is the Rusden Rose.
YOU WILL NEED
- 4 chicken thighs
- Cooking oil for frying
- 1 and 1/2 cups of large dried chilli
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorn dry roasted and ground
- 1 root ginger, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 90g sugar
- 2 spring onions white part and green part separated and cut into small sections
- 150ml light soy
- 170ml Chinese rice wine
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds, or as needed
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper powder
- Corn flour
- Small pinch of salt
1. Cut the dried chilli, discard the seeds.
2. Remove the bone of the chicken thighs and then cut into small cubes.
In a large bowl, marinade the chicken cubes with all the marinating sauce. Mix well and set aside for around 10 minutes.
3. Marinade chicken for 15 minutes, coat in corn flour, deep fry.
4. Fry garlic, ginger in oil, add chilli then chicken spring onion, Sichuan pepper, sugar, soy, rice wine, finish with sesame and peanuts.
Like this dish? Check more of Peter’s creations here…